Silver Creek Leadership Academy: 2017 Retreat Information
Our leadership retreat is right around the corner. Here is some important information:
Things to bring:
- A great attitude! We will be doing silly camp songs, games and team building challenges. This is not the place to be too cool to participate.
- Change of clothes for Thursday
- Extra pair of socks and shoes (in case you get a pair wet).
- Hoodie/jacket for the evening
- Bathroom bag that includes: toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant and any other personal items you need. We're talking travel size! Remember, pack light!
- Rain poncho (a cheap plastic one is fine; we may encounter some rain!)
- Water bottle
- Hiking shoes (hiking boots aren't necessary, but sturdy tennis shoes will be great!)
- One note about purchasing items on-site: there is a small store at the retreat, so if you wish to bring money to purchase something, you can; however, it is not necessary.
- You many want to bring a small day-backpack to carry your water bottle, sunscreen and hat.
What NOT to bring:
- Bedding — Sheets, blankets, pillows and towels are provided by the YMCA
- Anything illegal — Weapons, alcohol, tobacco, drugs, fireworks. Your parents will be called and you will be sent home AND you will be removed from the program.
- Expensive electronics — If you lose them or break them, we are not responsible.
- Excess money — Same as above: if you lose it, we're not responsible.
- 6:30am-6:45am: A-H
- 6:45am-7:00am: I-P
- 7:00am-7:15am: Q-Z and late arrivals
PICK UP: Thursday, August 3nd SCHS- Main Parking Lot 5:30pm
You are part of the Silver Creek Leadership Academy and our expectations are high. We have a great reputation as one of the best large groups to visit the YMCA each year, and we want to keep that. We will have a lot of fun together, but we need to work together and follow a few rules to ensure your safety.
- In the dining hall — Please use your inside voices, be polite, and don't cut in line. Clean up after yourself, and make sure the table and floor area is clean.
- In the lodge — Again, we are not the only campers. Don't slam doors, run in the hallways and be loud. Talk quietly in your rooms and keep the music quiet as well.
- On the bus — Remember to say "thank you" to the bus driver — don't leave a mess!
- To each other — We have a lot of kids coming from different schools who don't know anyone; and those that do might only know one or two people. This is a chance to step outside your comfort zone and meet new people. Bullying will not be tolerated. We are ALL RAPTORS now.
- Phones — We want you to engage with the people at the retreat, so we ask that your phones are put away. You are welcome to use your devices to take pictures; but snapchatting, texting and disengaging during group time is discouraged.
- No one goes anywhere alone — Stay in groups of three and make sure your ambassadors know where you are. You will have a small amount of free time after meals but we must know where you will be, and you must return to the meeting place on time.
- Bandanas — You will be assigned to a "bandana" group- Make sure you wear your bandana for the two days at camp. It helps us quickly gather our groups. No switching.
- Weather — Follow instructions in case of bad weather- lightning etc.
- Dealing with uncomfortable situations — If something or someone makes you feel uncomfortable, tell your ambassadors or one of the adult staff members. We can't help you if we don't know.
- Sickness — If you get sick make sure you tell your ambassadors. We have Cindi our health clerk at the retreat with us who can assist.
- Rooms — You MUST stay in the room you are assigned overnight! No exceptions, even if your best friend is in the room next door to you. This is a leadership camp. Stretch yourself and meet new people. It is ONE NIGHT. If you change rooms, your parents will be called and you will be sent home.
- We are excited to spend a couple of days with you and help you learn more about SCLA and begin your leadership journey with us! Our Ambassadors have worked very hard to prepare a camp that will be valuable for you and full of great experiences.